Friday, May 7, 2010

My Little Pity Fest

Okay, so I had a little pity party for myself the other night and trailed into this morning… I’m over it, but it was kind of a bummer for me. I had a doctor’s appointment at 4:10 Wednesdasy, Mom and Trent with me because we went and ran errands following (mainly to Wal-Mart, but it worked out really well, and Trent was perfect). But anyway, I had my doctor’s appointment (with my midwife) and my appointment before they had tested me for “strep-b.” Not really even thinking much of it, Kathe (my midwife) told me that she would have the test results for me at this appointment, well lo-and-behold, I actually have “strep-b.” I was really taken back in the office, and was kind of dumbfounded at the time. So when my midwife was talking to me about it, I was not completely absorbing everything, but she was very calm about it all, said everything should be fine, that about 40% of pregnant women have this bacteria in them during birth, and that they would give me a dose of antibiotics during delivery and then monitor the baby following the birth. She said that since I went so fast with Trent last time, they might not even be able to give me the antibiotics quick enough, but that was okay, because that would mean the baby would be spending even less time coming down the birth canal, and that is where the danger resides. The baby is completely fine and protected in the womb, and when born, it is that in between time, when it is being pushed out that they are unprotected at the time. So anyway, she was all calm, I was kind of shocked that everything wasn’t “perfect” still, so we all went on our merry way.

Well, the pity party started when I got home (after errands), Trent was put to bed, and Tory was still out training, and I had time to myself to let my hormones start rolling and a computer screen to read and Google all I ever needed to know and NOT know about “strep-b”… Ugh!

This is a brief, short break down of what strep-b is:

"Group B streptococcus (strep) is a common bacterium often carried in your intestines or lower genital tract. Although group B strep is usually harmless in adults, it can cause serious illness in newborns — a condition known as group B strep disease.

If you're a healthy adult, there's nothing you need to do about group B strep. If you're pregnant, get a group B strep screening test during your third trimester. If you have group B strep, antibiotic treatment during labor can protect your baby."

So anyway, I started getting pretty emotional because of everything I was reading about it and started crying, was crying on the phone to my husband, it wasn't fun or good for anyone, but Tory was wonderful to me. Thank goodness husband's don't get as hormonal as we do at the end of pregnancies. Needless to say I've learned a lot about strep-b, and in the end, I have to remember what my husband said about it all, "they have to put every bad thing that could ever happen from it Abby, because they have to be honest, but tell me again, how many babies get sick from this?" And I would have to reply (because I read everything), 1 to 2 in about 4,000 babies, and that isn't to say that those 1 to 2 babies will get anything that terrible (and of those 1 to 2, they are typically pre-term babies with weakened immune systems, if this baby is anything like Trent, who was holding his head up on his belly before we left the hospital, we'll be just fine)... so the percentage is so-so tiny for our little one to get sick, and SO-SO high to have a beautiful healthy baby. I know we are going to have a beautiful, healthy baby, it was just such a shock to have something come out that wasn't perfect, I mean everything else has been a breeze, blood pressures, sugar levels, urine samples, and on-and-on... so to have this come up, it was like, "really?" So anyway, I just have to realize that I don't have much control at this moment, my midwife and doctors are going to do what is best for both baby and I, and I have complete trust in them, so it will all be good... Head is down, we are getting there... not long now... We are all wondering if this little one is going to show up on his/her Daddy's birthday? The 25th? Our due date is the 24th, Tory is joking that if he/she comes on the 25th, he/she is his true Gemini twin =) We'll just wait and see...

Anyway, that was the start of my pity fest, and then it translated into yesterday at work, when my HR director came into the office and asked me what amount of time I thought I was going to take off for maternity leave, I replied 12 weeks (had already spoken with my boss regarding this, because being part time at the hospital, I fall about 20 hours below the required hours needed per year to qualify for the FML act, but everyone was fine with the 12 weeks, and I wasn't too concerned with my job security, that is where the FML act secures your job for up to 12 weeks)... Well that's when my HR director said that my doctor's office had filled out the medical paperwork and had only said I needed 6 weeks off, so she said that was all I could have, unless I had a note from doctor saying it was okay if I took 12 weeks. I about started crying in front of Donna (HR Director) at work, but sucked it up and was like, "Okay, I will get that note." Donna said that I didn't need a medical form or anything, just a small note from them would do. So anyway, I call this morning to talk to Kathe, but she isn't in, and then the secretary asked if I was okay, I said I was fine, and she asked what it is that I needed, if she could give Kathe a message, I said no, just needed to speak with her about the 6 week leave, and extending it to 12 weeks, and she said that Kathe doesn't fill those out, their insurance department does, and then Kathe and Deb (Deb is my other midwife) just sign off on it. She said there wasn't anyway medically they could extend my 6 week leave unless something happened... so of course I was like, "okay" and Tory is saying, "what?!?" And I said, "what was supposed to do, start yelling at her, that yes they would." He said I should have just went around her, and straight to Deb, which he is right, so that is what I will be doing next Wednesday, I will get that little note one way or another, because 6 weeks is too little to leave! Sheesh! Nothings easy is it, but Tory is right in the fact that there is always a way to get things done, just have to figure it out. I just have to explain to Deb what I need, why I need it, that there is no benefit to me other then being home with my little one (won't be paid during the extra time off, which I already knew), and keep it business and not personal, that's where it went wrong this morning talking to the secretary, it got personal for me, and of course I was crying to Tory by the time I was off the phone, my poor husband =) So I know I will be off 12 weeks, I just get to do a little more jumping and figuring out then the usual Mommy-to-be, man... I have a wonderful job, that gives me great insurance and lets me be home more with my children, and they are willing to give me 12 weeks, working around the system, just need help from my medical provider, it doesn't have to be this hard people =)

So there, I got my entire pity fest out in the open, and I can now put it away and get one with a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, and enjoying all the wonderful things that are happening in my life right now. That will be my next post... ahhh... I feel better. Later tators!

No comments: