Monday, August 9, 2010

Off To War

Men and women have been using this statement for hundreds of years, and it still isn't any easier then it was the first time it was uttered... it is some of the worst three words you can put together in a sentence. Sunday, Trent, Adelyn, Mom, Dad and I went to CR to see Tory's brother off to Afghanistan... it was so sad, there aren't really words for it. Tory saw Shawn at his house that morning because there was business that no one else could take care of back home during this deployment send-off. So Tory asked me to take the kids to the send-off, Shawn is Adelyn's godfather too. It was so-so sad... Dannelle (Shawn's wife) was crying and I don't think Tavian (Shawn's son) knew what was going on until he couldn't have his Daddy back... ugh! 18 months is going to seem like forever. Asking God to take care of Shawn every day and every night and bring him home safely to everyone who cares for him... I'm so thankful though for all the support that Dannelle and Tavian and Shawn are receiving from everyone (family and loved ones, but also from society as a whole because that was definitely not the case when my Daddy was serving during Vietnam, that seriously made me cry during the ceremony when I thought of my Daddy going over seas and people yelling, cursing, spitting on him when he left and when he came back... nobody understood back then and angry people definitely took it out on the WRONG people at the time... my Daddy is such a wonderful and proud and incredibly loving man/gentleman and I am the luckiest girl to have him for my Dad. Thank you God.)

Anyway, "Off to War" not my favorite phrase and I cannot wait to yell, "Home Again!" as soon as we can. Shawn is in our thoughts and hearts always, but he's definitely getting a little extra push behind that during the next 18 months.

1 comment:

Lis said...

my heart is with you all! and I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers!!!